Search This Blog

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Shhhh

Have you ever tried to recall something in a conversation but it just doesn't come to mind?  You know what the answer is.  It's right there on the tip of your tongue but arghh you just can't remember.  And no matter how hard you try to think the answer through your lips.  Nothing.

Then ironically hours later when you're leisurely driving, or walking and just not thinking.  Voila!  The answer pops into your head!

The art of clearing your mind (meditation) has been used for thousands of years by people all over the world.  Native American tribes used meditation as a form of connecting to the earth (their mother).  Buddhist meditation is a means of reaching upward and outward toward enlightenment. Even religious prayer is a form of meditation. There are many forms of meditation and with its wide spread recognition it has even found its way into western scientific research.

Meditation has been known to heal us, change us, and save us.  It can bring clarity, invoke insightfulness and grant us the answers that we seek.

You don't have to sit for hours at a time to clear your mind.  You don't have to be sitting at all.  You can be on a treadmill or laying in bed.

As we all know I have a lot going on.  There are things that I need to have happen to assist me in my endeavors.  There are answers that I need and when I am "in it" I can't always come up with solutions.

I walk every morning with Sir Henry (my 17 month old morkie-poo). On these morning walks I clear my head.  I pick one thing I need the answer to.  I get into a place of intention and I start walking.  I look up and around me.  I try not to look down at the ground (well, except for the occasional glance so I don't step in something unruly).  I watch the ducks splash around in the canals, the birds take off through the sky, and the clouds clear the way for the sun.  I let my mind take me where it needs to go.

This morning I set out for an answer I have been thinking about since yesterday.  Nothing was coming to mind.  I went to sleep, woke with the sun, and set out with a clear mind and within 5 minutes of walking the path the answer came to me.  Loud, clear, and concise.   I am so excited about my answer that as soon as I get done writing this I am going to get started on writing out my vision draft... remember?  The one I mentioned the other day, that I read about in Inc. magazine.  (I'll let you know how it goes!)

Clearing your mind helps you listen to your life and the answers are always there.  Within you.  I got 2 answers out of my morning walk today!  I haven't really known what I was going to write about next.  Then as Sir H and I were almost home we passed by this one beautiful rose.  It was all by itself and as I walked by my inner voice said, "Don't forget. Stop and smell the flowers" so I turned around, went back to that flower took a deep breath and thanked it for it's beauty.

Then when I was about a block away my inner dialogue got so excited!  I knew what I was going to write about and I had to go back and take a picture of that beautiful flower that prompted my words, my insights and my gratefulness.

The answers are within.  Are you listening?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words on Screen & Words on Paper

  • Blink, Malcolm Gladwell
  • Casablanca (1942)
  • Chocolat (2000)
  • Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway, Susan Jeffer, Ph.D.
  • Harold and Maude (1971)
  • Invictus (2009)
  • On The Waterfront (1954)
  • Singin in the Rain (1952)
  • The Celestine Prophecy, James Redfield
  • The Four Agreements, Miguel Ruiz
  • The Greatest Salesman in the World, Og Mandino
  • The Power of Now, Eckhart Tolle
  • The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success, Deepak Chopra
  • The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
  • The Tao of Pooh, Benjamin Hoff
  • The Wizard of Oz (1939)
  • West Side Story (1961)
  • What Happy People Know, Dan Baker

Listening

  • Use Somebody, Kings of Leon
  • You're Beautiful, James Blunt
  • Love, Love, Love, Tristan Prettyman
  • Just Fine, Mary J. Blige
  • Banana Pancakes, Jack Johnson
  • You and Me, Dave Matthews
  • Just Breathe, Pearl Jam